We Dig Derby!
If you don’t know the rules of roller derby, it might take you some time to catch up. Lucky for us, this wasn’t Josh Kolm’s first derby. After his commentary, he gave us a primer for quick study on the sport of roller derby.
Five things you need to know to follow a bout:
1) Keep your eye on the “jammer”: This is the scoring player who scores by lapping the opposing team as many times as possible: (CUE Cheering fans!)
2) Legal plays are made by “blockers”, who use their bodies to hinder the other team: legal moves include contact from the front or side, and blocking the mid section of the opponent (no head, nothing below mid thigh)
3) Illegal plays will earn a penalty and include using hands, elbows, head or feet. No pushing or contact from behind is allowed.
4) Cool Move to watch for is “The WHIP”. A blocker swings her team’s jammer forward by the arm.
5) Falls: Falling is part of the game: good fans cheer when players get up, and don’t laugh when they fall.
This helpful chart courtesy of The Orangeville Pulp Affliction
Big thanks to GTA Rollergirls for inviting us to be part of the action: This is a not for profit league formed in 2007 and run by volunteers.
August 10th: Re-Cap at the Ted Reeves Bubble
The Debs came on strong and were in control with a 30-0 lead,
But Pulp Affliction crept ahead and lead 98-69 after the first half.
With just minutes left, the Debs regain their lead and come from behind to win 173-160.
Debs vs Pulp Affliction: Final Score 173:160 for the Debs