CJRU, Toronto Metropolitan University’s Campus and Community radio station is hiring a number of student staff positions to join our team for the 2022/2023 academic year. These part-time positions are ideal for students and are designed to be worked as hybrid positions with some hours in person at the station and some from home.
CJRU is also hiring a bookkeeper – details are in this post.
Volunteers are the heart of our station. Our Volunteer Coordinator works directly with volunteers to provide training and find opportunities for individuals at the station.
- Coordinate training sessions and provide feedback to new and returning volunteers in the methods, techniques, and ethics of radio broadcasting
- Maintain volunteer database and hour logs
- Assist in coordinating station events and fundraisers, including the annual general volunteer meeting and board rep election
- Coordinate outreach to campus and community groups
- Create our weekly volunteer newsletter
- Specialized skills for this position include: experience recruiting and working with volunteers, ability to give thoughtful and constructive feedback, comfortable creating and managing spreadsheets and databases
Digital Assets Coordinator
Bring your knowledge of file management and digital distribution to the CJRU team! Our Digital Assets Coordinator will oversee content on our website, assist us with our podcast feeds and more over the school year.
- Edit and assist volunteers with online content
- Update podcast feeds, Airtable and Patreon accounts
- Create Audiograms
- Assist in updating content on iTunes, Spotify or other branded platforms
- Assist in posting content to website and social media
- Check feeds to platforms like RadioPlayer, iHeart and TuneIn
- Specialized skills for this position include: experience in multimedia environment, audio production, proficient user of Database and Spreadsheet applications
Attention music lovers: we’re looking for a Music Librarian to give us a hand in tending to our growing music library.
- Assist with the ingest of new albums and proper archiving of digital files in our library
- Encourage volunteers to explore and highlight new music
- Complete weekly charts, tracking and label relations
- Actively seek out new music from within the community
- Specialized skills for this position include: in-depth knowledge of local music in Toronto, experience coordinating and/or marketing artists or events, audio production, proficient user of Database and Spreadsheet applications
Social Media and Outreach Coordinator
Help us get the word out about the great programming we have at CJRU! Our Social Media and Outreach Coordinator will manage our social media accounts and assist with outreach in the community.
- Monitor CJRU’s social media channels and post to them consistently, sharing the work of our volunteers
- Develop and execute social media strategy
- Implement social media engagement strategies with partners
- Forge relationships with community partners and assist with community partner broadcasts
- Specialized skills for this position include: experience with social media campaigns, fundraising experience and/or familiarity with community outreach
Take the lead of our news team and ensure that our award-winning news program airs weekly.
- Recruit and coordinate submissions from volunteers for our weekly news program The Final Word
- Assist in the recording and scheduling of interviews
- Provide feedback to volunteers on their work at the station
- Assist with show production and chase producing as needed
- Log programs and/or assist and oversee volunteers in the process
- Assist the Local Journalist with editing and audio production as needed
Take the lead in promoting CJRU through video and other forms of outreach in the community and help with programming
- Handle pre scheduling and logging of Morning Mixtape
- Assist in the production of video streams and video content at the station
- Promote the station’s programs and events on campus and in the community digitally and in person when possible
- Assist community groups and the TMU community in creating radio
- Assist in tutoring volunteers on video production and mobile recording
- Produce station IDs, Public Service Announcements or assist in editing projects
- Support fundraising efforts
What we’re looking for in all of our candidates
- Currently enrolled at TMU
- Volunteer or paid experience in a not-for-profit environment
- Strong organizational skills
- A creative approach to community building
- A true team player who can motivate themselves in a remote environment
- Proven ability to set, meet and review goals
- Exceptional communication & outreach skills
- A passion for campus/community radio
These are paid positions during the academic year and spring from September-May for approximately 12-15 hours per week at a rate of $17 an hour.
Please note: the health and safety of our community, our staff and our volunteers is our first priority. Staff will be asked to show proof of vaccination and will work a hybrid model from home and from the office.
How to apply:
A complete application will include links to your portfolio or work samples as well as your cover letter and resume. Please format so your cover letter and resume are in one pdf file. Send to email@example.com with the subject line Student Jobs.
Tip: if you are interested in more than one position, tell us in your cover letter and include why you would be a good fit for those positions.
We strive to build a diverse team and encourage applications from underrepresented groups such as women, Black, Indigenous, People of Colour, members of the LGTBQ2SI+ community and people with disabilities. If you need accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us. Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Deadline for applications is Wednesday August 10 at 11:59PM. Candidates must be available for video interviews the following week.